The warm, sunny days of summer are perfect for creating fun and colorful meals. Whether you’re cooking family dinner or a dish for a potluck with friends, here are some recipes that are quick and easy for you—but will leave everyone else impressed by your produce prowess.
Grilled Honey Garlic Shrimp Bowls
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup brown rice
⅟₄ cup honey
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
Zest of one lime
1 teaspoon Sriracha
1 avocado, halved, peeled, sliced
1⅟₂ cups cherry tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 cup corn kernels, frozen, canned or roasted
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, lime zest and Sriracha. Reserve 2 tablespoons and set aside.
- In a gallon size Ziploc bag or large bowl, combine honey mixture and shrimp; marinate for at least 1 hour, turning the bag occasionally. Drain the shrimp from the marinade.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Add shrimp to grill and cook, flipping once and basting with reserved marinade until cooked through, about 2–3 minutes on each side.
- Brush avocado and tomatoes with olive oil. Add to grill and cook, flipping once, until charred, about 1–2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve shrimp immediately with rice, avocado, tomatoes and corn, garnished with cilantro, if desired.
Summer Skillet Pasta
8 ounces penne
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 zucchini, sliced
1 large yellow squash, sliced
6 ounces Andouille sausage, sliced
⅟₂ sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1⅟₄ teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper
⅟₃ cup chopped fresh basil
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook penne according to package instructions until al dente. Drain well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add zucchini and squash and cook until golden, stirring occasionally, about 3–4 minutes. Set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet. Stir in sausage, bell pepper and onion and cook until golden, about 4–5 minutes. Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in diced tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 7–10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in pasta, zucchini, squash and basil until well-combined; sprinkle with cheese.
- Place into oven and bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Recipes adapted from Damn Delicious