It’s Cookie Season!
With more and more people working from home in 2020, and most of our agents doing the same, many of us turned to baking for various reasons. Sourdough trended early on in lockdown, and we also got on the bandwagon. It’s not that we had so much free time (there were still plenty of transactions closing), rather being home just meant we were able to spend the little bits of time necessary throughout the day to feed the starter, knead, shape loaves, etc.
Now that we’ve arrived at the traditional ‘baking’ season, somehow it doesn’t feel quite as momentous as a marker of time, but we’re still throwing ourselves into our classic holiday recipes. One of our agents shared her classic peppermint meltaway cookie recipe, and we just had to post here as it is simply divine.
Ultimately, when everything feels unsure, we can rejoice in the knowledge that, when it doubt, there are always cookies.
Classic Peppermint Meltaway Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extract. In another bowl, whisk flour and cornstarch; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes or until firm enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on un-greased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in milk, extract and, if desired, food coloring. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread over cookies; sprinkle with crushed candies. Store in an airtight container.
Surprise your family, friends, or clients this holiday with a homemade batch of these decadent peppermint cookies. Or, if baking isn’t your thing, we love to support our local businesses by ordering a box of locally made cookies to be delivered directly to your clients’ door, which is a great, COVID safe way to spread some holiday cheer! Consider supporting these businesses year-round (perhaps as closing gifts?!), as we need to help our local communities rebuild in a (hopefully) imminent post-COVID world.
Sue Long is the Principal Broker (owner-operator) of Keller Williams Realty Mid-Willamette www.suelongrealty.com