As real estate professionals, it is extremely important to maintain healthy lifestyles which includes regular exercise, a balanced diet with healthy food choices and getting a good night of sleep. With busy schedules that include lead generation, meetings, clients, showings, listings, contracts, negotiations, inspections, appraisals…phew. Then there is homelife with spouses, kids, pets, bills and the many responsibilities there. Between work and family life, it can be overwhelming and prevent us from turning off our brains to get good sleep. However, sleep is one of the most important parts of the day. It is essential yet sometimes the most neglected area of a healthy lifestyle.
The lack of sleep can prevent us from performing our best and can lead to other health issues. Here are some tips to help you prepare for sleep, calm your mind and get a good night’s rest:
1.) Try to have a regular sleep schedule. Create a routine at night that will signal to your brain that it is time to sleep. Try to go to bed and get up at the same time every day. This will help to train your mind and body; it is key to getting good sleep.
2.) Be mindful of what you eat right before bedtime. If you are hungry and need a snack try oatmeal, cereal with milk, a banana or yogurt with granola.
3.) Wind down 20-30 minutes before bedtime. This is an individual preference so you can choose what works for you. Here are some ideas to think about:
- Read a good book or listen to an audio book.
- Teatime: try drinking a cup of chamomile, decaf green tea or peppermint tea.
- Journal: put your thoughts down on paper about how you’re feeling, things you want to accomplish the next day, what is bothering you, etc. Just make sure to include a positive thought such as something or someone you are thankful for or feel blessed to have in your life, for example.
- Pray or meditate.
- Take a warm bath or shower with a relaxing soap scent like lavender or chamomile.
- Play relaxing music and light a candle.
- Try relaxation breathing, focusing on each breathe.
4.) This may be a tough one but put the screens away. This includes the television, laptop, table and yes, your phone.
5.) Create an awesome sleep environment with a dark, quiet space and keep your room temperature at a moderate setting.
At the end of the day, sleep is essential to being able to function properly and relate to our family, friends, client’s and co-workers. The mind and body need rest to be efficient and effective in our daily lives. Try to adopt a couple of these tips and hope for a calm mind and a great night of sleep!